Saved over £15,000 annually.
Employees: 25 (plus 25 sub-contractors)
Fleet Size: 46
Douglas Communications Ltd is a telecommunications company operating in the North West of England, priding itself on delivering a high level of customer service to its many customers. As a technical service provider, it is imperative that its fleet activities experience minimal disruption and continue to operate efficiently and effectively, 24 / 7.
Having hired LCVs from Northgate for over 10 years, the telecommunications company has recently increased its rented fleet to 16, bringing its total number of vehicles to 46. Whilst flexible vehicle hire has been delivering significant operational and financial benefits for some time, the company has more recently looked at Northgate’s service, maintenance and repair (SMR) products in a bid to make further cost savings.
Douglas Communications took the decision to reconsider its existing workshop suppliers in a bid to reduce SMR costs and find a more cost effective and efficient solution.
- With a sizable owned fleet, the telecommunications company originally used a number of local garages to carry out service, maintenance and repair activities. This decision was purely based on convenience, due to the close proximity of these suppliers and the limited choice available on the market.
- The service experienced through this local network of garages was inefficient and unprofessional, prompting Douglas Communications to consider its options.
- An aging fleet inevitably resulted in an increase in maintenance and repair related work, bringing with it increased parts and labour costs and lost revenue due to increased downtime. Downtime alone was losing the company around £500 per day.
By utilising Northgate’s service, maintenance and repair facilities and making the most of the newly piloted out of hours servicing, Douglas Communications has made some significant financial savings.
- It was evident that Northgate’s offering was far beyond the capabilities demonstrated by the local garages. With Northgate they could be assured of technical capability, professionalism and speed.
- A personal and professional service was of importance to Douglas Communications and that was reinforced through their experience with the branches; from the way that enquiries were handled, right through to job completion and invoicing. All underpinned by strong customer communications.
- The ability to access replacement vehicles whilst SMR work was carried out on their fleet was critical in ensuring that their technicians remained on the road and downtime was kept to a minimum.
- Equally important was the ability for Douglas Communications to access workshop facilities outside of trading hours from the Bolton branch, one of several branches offering this convenient new service.
- By using Northgate’s workshops the company experienced a 100% reduction on downtime and significant savings on SMR, resulting in an estimated total saving of over £1,000 per month or around £15,000 annually