Highways England A45 Tollbar End officially opened in the Midlands
£106M improvement scheme at Tollbar End in Coventry officially opened today to reduce congeston.
A £106M improvement scheme by Highways England has officially opened at Tollbar End in Coventry, which will create free-flowing traffic. The volume of traffic using the Tollbar End roundabout will be reduced, because of a two lane dual carriageway underpass link and a larger layout designed specifically to reduce congestion.
For motorists the scheme’s completion means:
- motorists travelling along the A45 Stonebridge Highway and A46 Coventry Eastern Bypass now have a free-flow link under Tollbar roundabout
- an improved and larger Tollbar roundabout with improved access to the existing routes
- a widening of the existing A45 Stonebridge Highway to a three lane dual carriageway between the new Tollbar roundabout and Stivichall junction to improve capacity and safety
Highways England Chairman Colin Matthews said: “Tollbar End’s completion is fantastic news for motorists.
“It is a key hub in the Midlands road network and the £106M scheme is already providing the benefits of smoother journeys between the important north-south routes.
“The opening of the underpass has improved traffic flow and alleviated congestion at what was once an historic bottleneck.”
“Highways England project manager Paul Nagra said: “Everyone will benefit from the new road and journey times will be shorter and safer as a result of the new layout. It will also increase traffic flow and a reduction in congestion.
“We are really grateful to everyone for their patience while the work has been ongoing.”
A new footbridge has also been created across the River Sowe to accommodate a new footpath and cycleway. Highways England has also installed new gantries on the A45 Stonebridge Highway and A46 Kenilworth Byworth, south of Stivichall junction.
If you would like to read more articles like this then please click here
- Boost your skills at UK Construction Week
23 Sep 19
UKCW is the place to go to broaden your knowledge and skills.
- What will stricter new laws mean for commercial UAV users in the UK?
23 Sep 19
What will new regulations mean for commercial drone use.
- Erith Park completed in London
23 Sep 19
Wates Residential and Orbit Residential completed the Erith Park development in South East London.