Former government chief construction advisor to lead independent Grenfell review
Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) President, Professor Tim Broyd, has asked former government Chief Construction Advisor, Professor Peter Hansford, to lead an independent review of the lessons for civil engineers and other professionals working on the UK’s infrastructure in response to the Grenfell Tower tragedy.
The independent review will seek to identify and address systemic issues highlighted by the Grenfell Tower fire, which may increase the risk of a serious failure of infrastructure assets and networks in the UK.
The review does not duplicate the government enquiry into the specific failings at Grenfell or cover matters that are currently subject to a criminal investigation.
Issues addressed in the review will include:
- Competency and capability within owners, clients and all tiers of the supply chain, including capabilities to understand and manage whole systems
- Responsibility and accountability for safety at all stages of the assets’ life-cycle
- Inspection and quality assurance regimes during and following construction, operational management and in-service modification, refurbishment and re-fit
- Creation, maintenance and implementation of regulation, guidance and codes & standards
- Assessment and management of system related risks
- The effectiveness of industry efforts to understand and apply lessons from recent catastrophic failures
- The impact of procurement practice, commercial arrangements and changes to professional roles and culture on all of the above.
President of ICE Professor Tim Broyd said: “The nation has been deeply shocked by the events at Grenfell Tower. ICE’s aim with this review is to establish what needs to be done to mitigate the risk of a similar tragedy resulting from the failure of infrastructure assets or networks.
“As the world’s premier civil engineering organisation it is right that we assess whether change is needed to how we procure, design, construct and maintain the UK’s infrastructure.”
If you would like to read more articles like this then please click here
- Kier constructs new school laboratories
18 Sep 19
Kier will refurbish science facilities at the St Joan of Arc Catholic School in Hertfordshire.
- Construction centre opened at Lincoln College
18 Sep 19
The new Gusto Homes ECOnstruction Centre of Excellence at Lincoln College opened last week.
- Kier contracted for Manchester Metropolitan build
18 Sep 19
Kier are to construct Manchester Met’s new School of Digital Arts building.