Sector - Software & Technology
Coventry CC to trial modular construction
26 Mar 19
Coventry City Council is to trial the use of volumetric modular construction homes in a bid to tackle housing shortage in the area.
Working in partnership with with Whitefriars Housing Association, the council-led project will see the Littlethorpe site in the Willenhall district of the city transformed to provide much-needed family housing.
The pilot project is based on the construction of two Totally Modular homes, one two-bedroom, and the other with three bedrooms. Work on the homes is set to begin in early 2019. As they can be built quickly and to exacting standards in a factory environment, it will not be long before they are transported to the Littlethorpe site where they will be lifted on to pre-built foundations and connected to water, gas and electricity supplies.
The homes will be built by Totally Modular Ltd at its factory in Cradley Heath before being transported to the site and installation will then take a matter of hours, hugely speeding up the process of creating new highly efficient top-quality homes.
Totally Modular houses are built around a strong steel frame and come in several sizes and configurations. Externally they can be clad in almost any building material, so can be made to match existing local styles or offer an exciting modern style. Built-in internal fittings are all to a high standard and include fully equipped kitchens and bathrooms, alongside already decorated bedrooms and living rooms.
The purpose of the project is to pilot the process and confirm the finished homes can offer a fast and efficient way to address the city’s housing needs. If successful, many modular homes could be built at various locations in and around Coventry, thus helping alleviate the shortage of social and affordable housing, while providing additional employment opportunities.
If you would like to read more articles like this then please click here.
More Software & Technology News
- Construction innovation will boost productivity in public sector
20 Jun 19
Adoption of innovative approaches to the design and construction of buildings could deliver a revolution
- New innovation partnership targets construction supply chain
19 Jun 19
The Construction Innovation Hub will sponsor the UKCW Innovation Zone at this year’s show.
- European builders lead the way in robotisation
17 Jun 19
A new report from ING says European construction companies are leading the way in the
Sector Press Releases
- Improve your construction site internet experience
It’s a familiar scenario. Your construction project is starting but you’re waiting for fixed line internet installation which
- Comms365 Blog – in the News
As Christmas approaches and the end of 2018 is in sight we thought it would be a perfect
- Daisy Event – From Diggers to Digitisation
Join Daisy on 29th November at our roundtable event in London.
- Infographic – Four simple steps to construction site connectivity
- Solving construction site connectivity problems with portable high speed internet
Construction Project Managers, IT Directors and on-site employees will know how important a reliable on-site internet connection is
- How bonded internet solutions can save construction site managers time and money
If you’re in charge of operations for construction sites, you’ll be responsible for the success of projects and
Sector Case Studies
- Construction Site Internet Made Easy
There’s no question that a bonded internet solution is perfect for construction sites.
- The Business Case for Bonded Construction Site Internet
If you’ve heard of bonded internet, you’ll know how it can transform your construction site
- Tech Takeover: Construction Innovations Set to Give our Sites an Update
The pace picks up on new innovations as construction moves towards a technological overhaul.
- Clugston Case Study – Flexible managed connectivity delivers high performance IT and network services
- Costain Case Study – Supporting the UK-wide provision of advanced, digitally-led infrastructure management services
- Not all bonded internet access solutions are equal – why you should choose Continuum
Construction managers, IT directors and construction programme leads will be acutely aware of the need