May hosts Housing Implementation Taskforce
Prime Minister Theresa May has chaired the inaugural meeting of the Housing Implementation Taskforce – a cross-government working group attended by the Chancellor, the Housing Secretary, the Transport Secretary and several other Cabinet Ministers, to discuss the progress Government is making, and further actions needed, to increase housing supply.
A Downing Street spokesperson said: “Today the Prime Minister chaired the first meeting of the Housing Implementation Taskforce at Downing Street.
“She stressed the integral role all Government departments have in helping to fix the broken housing market and deliver 300,000 additional homes by the mid-2020s.
“The taskforce discussed the steps Government has already taken, including further investment at the Budget, planning reform, releasing land faster, the Housing White Paper and building more affordable housing. They emphasised the key role of Homes England in driving forward change, and also focused on the supply of new housing, public sector land sales, land banking, house-building skills and building the infrastructure needed for new housing developments.
“The Prime Minister reiterated that a step change was needed right across Government and that all departments needed to think creatively about how they can contribute to building the homes the country needs.”
Ministers who attended the meeting included:
- Rt Hon Philip Hammond MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer
- Rt Hon Sajid Javid MP, Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government
- Rt Hon Greg Clark MP, Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Rt Hon David Lidington CBE MP, Minister for the Cabinet Office and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
- Rt Hon Damian Hinds, Secretary of State for Education
- Rt Hon Michael Gove MP, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Rt Hon Chris Grayling, Secretary of State for Transport
- Rt Hon Tobias Ellwood MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Ministry of Defence
- Baroness Buscombe, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the Department for Work and Pensions
- Oliver Dowden CBE MP, Parliamentary Secretary at the Cabinet
If you would like to read more articles like this then please click here.
- Cleaner air from HS2
21 Jan 19
HS2 will insist all diesels working on teh project comply to the highest emissions standards.
- How offsite is set to revive the ailing housebuilding industry
21 Jan 19
Can offsite construction help address the housing crisis and productivity issues?
- £15M to improve Nottingham gateway
21 Jan 19
The £250M Southern Gateway programme is one of the most ambitious ever undertaken by Nottingham