Sector - Software & Technology
New government fund looks for AI and digital design projects
15 Feb 19
The Industrial Strategy Challenge fund has allocated £18M for AI and digital design in construction.
The UK government is looking at new technology and digital design for the future of construction projects. The funding comes from UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and is looking to find projects that will modernise the industry.
Through UKRI, £13.3M has already been awarded to 24 projects. These include a project with the University of Cambridge which uses AI to predict and schedule construction and a new piling technology developed by Keltbray Group enhancing capacity and sustainability when laying foundations.
The aim of the projects chosen will be to revolutionise how technology is used within construction: from creating simulations to support the design and management of buildings, to creating power generation and storage within buildings. It is hoped these will streamline projects and cut costs.
UKRI Chief Executive Sir Mark Walport said: “Technologies being developed in the UK provide a significant opportunity to transform the way we build, such as the use of augmented reality to improve design or robotics to aid complex building assembly.”
“Through projects such as these, the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund allows us to catalyse innovation across the UK’s construction industry, improving productivity, sustainability and safety.”
The Government is hoping the projects chosen will allow the UK to become a world leader in construction. They promise it will help them deliver their Construction Sector Deal, which seeks to partner government and industry to improve the industry.
The use of technologies like artificial intelligence, 3D printing, and simulations are being more commonly adopted in the industry worldwide. These innovations can cut costs and improve safety and environmental responsibility.
If you would like to read more articles like this then please click here.
If you are interested in finding out more about key infrastructure trends today, you may wish to attend the flagship infrastructure exhibition at the NEC in April 2019: UKIS 2019
Register for your delegate place now: UK Infrastructure Show 2019.
More Software & Technology News
- McAvoy secures CCS contract
24 May 19
McAvoy Group has secured four contracts with Crown Commercial Services (CCS)
- Conference to unveil world-leading infrastructure data analysis and research tool
21 May 19
DAFNI, the National Platform that will provide the UK with infrastructure data analysis - will
- Ground-breaking work on Harwell research building begins
21 May 19
17th May saw ground broken at Harwell Campus, commencing works on the £40M, 58,000sq ft
Sector Press Releases
- Improve your construction site internet experience
It’s a familiar scenario. Your construction project is starting but you’re waiting for fixed line internet installation which
- Comms365 Blog – in the News
As Christmas approaches and the end of 2018 is in sight we thought it would be a perfect
- Daisy Event – From Diggers to Digitisation
Join Daisy on 29th November at our roundtable event in London.
- Infographic – Four simple steps to construction site connectivity
- Solving construction site connectivity problems with portable high speed internet
Construction Project Managers, IT Directors and on-site employees will know how important a reliable on-site internet connection is
- How bonded internet solutions can save construction site managers time and money
If you’re in charge of operations for construction sites, you’ll be responsible for the success of projects and
Sector Case Studies
- Construction Site Internet Made Easy
There’s no question that a bonded internet solution is perfect for construction sites.
- The Business Case for Bonded Construction Site Internet
If you’ve heard of bonded internet, you’ll know how it can transform your construction site
- Tech Takeover: Construction Innovations Set to Give our Sites an Update
The pace picks up on new innovations as construction moves towards a technological overhaul.
- Clugston Case Study – Flexible managed connectivity delivers high performance IT and network services
- Costain Case Study – Supporting the UK-wide provision of advanced, digitally-led infrastructure management services
- Not all bonded internet access solutions are equal – why you should choose Continuum
Construction managers, IT directors and construction programme leads will be acutely aware of the need