Sector - Housing
Shadow Minister visits Tower Hamlets to discuss housing challenge
4 Mar 16
Labour’s Shadow Housing and Planning Minister visits innovative Blackwall Reach regeneration project in Tower Hamlets.
Yesterday, Labour’s Shadow Housing and Planning Minister, John Healey MP met Mayor John Biggs, senior officers, and councillors, as part of a visit to see how Tower Hamlets Council is rising to the challenge of the housing crisis.
Over the next ten years, a £300M scheme at the old Robin Hood Gardens estate will deliver more than 1,500 new homes, replacing the existing 252 homes. The development will also include new community facilities, commercial units and improved green open spaces.
The Blackwall Reach scheme is being delivered in partnership with Swan Housing Group and the Greater London Authority.
John Healey said: ““I welcomed the opportunity to hear about how Tower Hamlets Council are dealing with the housing challenges their residents face. Locally-led regeneration schemes like Blackwall Reach can revitalise local areas and create new affordable homes. Tower Hamlets is showing what councils can do with limited space but high aspirations.”
Mayor of Tower Hamlets, John Biggs added: “We have a growing population and providing homes and essential services is a real challenge. The Blackwall Reach scheme has shown what can be achieved with good partnership working and engaging fully with residents from the start.”
“We have a long way to go and the council is seeking every opportunity to maximise on building more genuinely affordable homes and creating real neighbourhoods.”
The MP was also briefed on the reshaping of Whitechapel Town Centre, another ambitious scheme in the heart of the borough which aims to deliver 3,500 new homes by 2025. The scheme includes a substantial number of family and affordable homes, major improvements to public spaces, roads, and new shopping and leisure opportunities.
The council has also secured £7M from its Right to Buy receipts and will work with housing associations to deliver around 70 homes at social rents, as part of Mayor Bigg’s pledge to deliver 1000 new council homes.
Cllr Sirajul Islam, statutory deputy mayor and cabinet member for Housing added: “We are working hard to build more genuinely affordable homes in the borough and to also improve existing council homes to improve residents’ quality life.”
- New homes handed over on £300M Blackwall Reach regeneration
- Whitechapel Vision set to be enhanced after former hospital site purchased
- Ocean Estate development moves ahead
- Tower Hamlets Project Manager issues call to action post-Grenfell
- Morgan Tucker appointed two multi-million pound housing frameworks
More Housing News
- NHF report calls for social housing revolution
20 Sep 17
NHF calls for the Government to adopt a radical new approach to avert a social
- Plans to tackle housing crisis announced
18 Sep 17
New planning measures will help affordable homes to be built where they are most needed.
- Land and lending shortfall hindering UK housebuilding, says FMB
15 Sep 17
House Builders’ Survey 2017 looks at barriers to building new homes.
Sector Press Releases
- Vinden Partnership launch Defect Detection Service
Offering independent assistance in identifying defects and advice on their resolution.
- Reaction to ONS construction industry output figures for May
The Vinden Partnership says construction industry feeling impact of General election and Brexit uncertainty.
- The Vinden Partnership says slowdown following the General Election isn’t a surprise
The latest UK Construction PMI figures reveal growth in the industry suffered a slowdown.
- Reaction to ONS construction industry output figures for April
The Vinden Partnership calls for political stability as construction industry braces for period of uncertainty
- Reaction to the latest Markit/CIPS UK construction PMI for May
The Vinden Partnership says the construction industry can take many positives from the latest figures.
- How spatially coordinated BIM models address challenges of MEP professionals
BIM provides opportunity for MEP designers and consultants to reduce rework and improve the output.
Sector Case Studies
- The Villas at Turquoise Banks
XS CAD created 3D photorealistic rendered images using Autodesk 3DS Max and Adobe Photoshop.
- Tuffin Ferraby Taylor
Tuffin Ferraby Taylor turned to Acrypol Products Limited to repair their asphalt roof.
White goods installers for BBC's 'DIY SOS' make a splash with new funding.
- Sustainable House Development
The proposal was to replace an existing house with a single storey, highly insulated house.
- St Elphin’s Park £6m Restoration and Redevelopment
Exceptional homes in the perfect location.
- Place Making Project in the Shivajinagar Area in Pune, India
To read more click on the link Place Making Project